Monday, February 20, 2012

Beef Shish Kebab


I had this 3 inch Rib Eye steak that had been staring at me for a couple of weeks now. I had already BBQ'd it's twin along with my wife Lupe's T-Bone steak a few weeks before. So it was only right that I allow this piece of meat to join the party!!! What to do.......slice it up and grill it shish kebab style.

Now some of you are probably asking why am I going to ruin a 3 inch thick Ribeye Steak by slicing it up for shish kebab? Well I just wanted to grill something I haven't eaten in a while and why not a super delicious and tender cut like a Ribeye? After all, it was going to be eaten one way or another so when it comes right down to it, what's the difference? Well that was my reasoning and I'm sticking to it!!! 

So here is what I did:

First of all I trimmed the fat off of the Rib Eye.

Then I cut 1/4 inch by about 3 inch pieces slicing across the grain to aid the tenderness of the meat.

Next step was to prepare the marinade.

1 cup Kikkoman Soy Sauce

1/2 cup sugar

A 2-inch piece of ginger, peeled and thinly sliced

4 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced.

I combined these ingredients into a saucepan and brought them all to a boil. This not only blends all the flavors but dissolves the sugar a lot easier.

I then added the beef cuts to this mixture and allowed this to marinade in the refer about 6 hours.

I skewer the meat just prior to putting them on the grill. 

All skewered and resting in the leftover marinade until the fire is just right.

You want a hot fire for kebab grilling so that all the juices are locked in by searing.

Kebabs getting their grill on!!!

Beef Shish Kebabs ready for the table...

The grilling took maybe about 4-5 minutes per side. They were juicy and very tender. They were served with white rice, buttered spinach and one of my favs, cream corn. Though the spinach and cream corn are not traditional sides dishes they all went well together for us. Again, something different.

Lupe and I had a great dinner on this beautiful Sunday evening on Guam.

Next up.....Pork Kebabs!!

Until next time....


No comments: