Sunday, May 27, 2012

Smoking Salt


Smoked Kosher salt (lightly smoked)

You always hear and read about smoked salts and what they bring to the table. Well after much reading on the subject I decided that I would give it a try. After all, I was just as curious as the next person.

My plan was to just smoke the salt lightly and experience the flavor. This would take about 4 hours because that was all I had time for on this particular day. I would later do an 8-hr smoke and taste the difference. Anyway here are the pics of what I did...

My smoker set up. It may be ugly but I love it!! You can see the tray of salt up top. I enclose the front with a hanging sheet metal when I smoke.

Here is the salt after about 4 hours.

A closer look of the results.

You can see the difference between the before and after.

All in all I liked the results. And I have been using this for seasoning on various dishes such as egg scrambles, grilled meats, and stir fries to name a few. You can really taste the subtle smokey flavor which is the effect that I wanted.

As I said next time will be an 8-hr smoke just to taste the difference. 


Until next time....

4 comments:

Three Dogs BBQ said...

Hi Reuben. Glad to see you trying this out. I tried it for the first time this past Christmas. It makes a great Christmas present for the cookers in your life...

Rueben said...

Panthers76, I really like the subtle flavor of the 4 hour smoke. Next smoke will be 8 hours for a little more robust flavor. We'll see how that works out.

I like that idea of presenting it as a present. Any BBQer would appreciate that I'm sure.

(:)

Camping Trailers said...

Indeed there is a big difference. Cool! Thanks a lot for this.

Rueben said...

It was fun smoking the salt. Looking forward to the 8hr smoke. (:{