Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Smoking Brisket Island Style


On Guam, we have a different style of smoking brisket. We slice it up, marinade it or just dry rub it, hang it or lay if flat over a smokey, open fire and smoke it until the grillmaster has it where he wants it.

Here is one process that I did recently. 

First of all, I wanted the finished product a little dry and not too plump. This is what I carry with me when I am out in the field fighting fires. This is my chow. I did not want to marinade it. I only dry rubbed it with my secret Rueben's Rub. Here are the ingredients for my rub....Sea Salt, Kosher Salt, Garlic Powder (granulated), Black Pepper, Celery Salt, MSG (Accent), Parsley Flakes and Onion Powder.

Here are the photos....

Started out with a 10 lb. brisket. I did not trim it at all.

I am going to slice it against the grain. Here you can see which way the grain runs.

Close up of the grain.

Try to slice at about 1/4 inch thick pieces.

This shows the fat marbling of the flat. 

Here are the slices. Still a little ways to go.

Once sliced, I add my seasoning. I use freshly ground black pepper. Nothing beats the fresh stuff.

All seasoned and ready to be hung over the fire for smoking.

Here is my famous uglier that thou pit. Meat is already laid out on the hanging grill. This open fire pit concept allows for a mellow smoke flavor.

Here is my fire. Wood is wet (soaked). The wood used is our local Tangantangan wood. Similar in aroma and flavor to red oak. I also use dried, whole coconut for aroma and flavoring. Coconut is the bomb!!

Close up of the brisker all laid out on the suspended grill.

Finished product.

Close up.

Now this is one style. This could take anywhere from 4-8 hours depending on how you want it cooked and how tender you want it. Another style is to marinade the meat and smoke it just long enough for the meat to cook tender and remain plump so that you can grill it at another time.

Here is the marinade that I use for this...

1/4 cup soy sauce
1/8 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/8 cup Brown sugar
20 to 30 thinly sliced pieces of fresh papaya for tenderizing.

Mix this in the bowl containing your brisket.

Then apply your seasoning to taste because the soy sauce and Worcestershire sauces are already salty.

You can also hang these slices of brisket from small hooks as shown below. The grillmaster here is Ray Garrido and he is known for his fantastic, smoked brisket.

Grillmaster Ray

His smoked brisket hanging over the fire pit.

And that's how its done here on Guam. Yes, we still smoke the whole brisket the conventional way but, it is not that popular here for BBQs because it takes too long. That is just too much work for the average everyday BBQ here. We could be eating and drinking already.....

But it is all GOOD no matter which way you grill, smoke or BBQ that's for sure!!!

Until next time....

4 comments:

cowgirl said...

That is so interesting Rueben! Is the texture like jerky or not as dry? It looks so tasty!!
Thanks again for sharing your recipe.. I would love to try this. :)

Rueben said...

Cowgirl, there are numerous type of smoked meat. This particular recipe calls for a slightly plump, not quite jerky, type meat. It is still very chewy and is quite juicy. I like this type of smoke meat for when I am hiking in the jungle, or just want to have something real good to chew on while I am doing something. The juices and meat flavor just kinda explode in your mouth.

I will send you the recipe for the other style where it is marinaded for tenderness and smoked to a plump texture for re-grilling at a later date. Of course gotta have the lemon finadene available for dipping and a cold "cocktail" nearby.

Very tasty.

Thank you for the comment and question. Loved your campfire meal that you posted BTW.

Danboya said...

Hi Reuben, i have been slowly reading my way through your site for the last few weeks and I love the look of everything you cook.

I was just wondering what your rough measurements for the rub are and also would it matter of the msg was excluded. I live in Perth, Australia and am an avid BBQer.

Thanks for an awesome site.

Dan

Rueben said...

Dan, thank you for visiting my site and I hope you keep on visiting. Unfortunately, the recipe that you are asking for is the only one that I don't give out. I may market the formula. But the Santa Maria Seasoning rub in my recipes under the rub section, will be very close.

Though you can eliminate the MSG, it will take away from the overall flavor and effect that the rub has. But I understand there are those that cannot tolerate MSG.

I think you will find the SM seasoning to your liking. You may want to add a tsp of onion powder to it.

If you have any other questions, just shoot me an email available on my profile.

Thanks again for the visit.
-Rueben-