Sunday, June 12, 2011

My Favorite Homemade Barbecue Sauce

We all love to eat BBQ and most of us like a little BBQ sauce on our meat when the time is right. I am no different. Though I don't use BBQ sauce all the time, when the recipe calls for it or when I just get the feeling for some sauce, I'll slather my BBQ with some sauce.

This sauce is one of my favorites. It based on Paul's Southern California's BBQ Sauce recipe that I found on Allrecipes.com @ http://allrecipes.com/Default.aspx.

I changed it around a little to suit my taste. This sauce is not overpowering. It works with you. You can layer it on in the final minutes of grilling, smoking or baking. The more you layer the stronger the taste. But it is a subtle sauce that allows you to control the final outcome. That is why I like it so much. And you can use it with just about any rub or on any type of meat product.

Here is the recipe...

INGREDIENTS:
2 cups apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon seasoning salt
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup brown sugar
1 heaping tablespoon of cornstarch. 


DIRECTIONS:
1. Place the apple cider vinegar in a medium saucepan, and bring to a boil. Mix in the ketchup, onion, garlic, dry mustard, chili powder, seasoning salt, and cayenne pepper. Stir in the brown sugar. Cook, stirring often, 10 to 15 minutes.

2. Mix the cornstarch with a small amount of water in order to dissolve the cornstarch and pour it slowly into the saucepan with the other ingredients.

3. Reduce heat, and, stirring occasionally, allow the mixture to simmer about 45 minutes, until thickened. Cool before serving.

Give this sauce a try. I'm sure you will like it's sweet and tangy qualities.

Until next time....

1 comment:

Daymaker said...

hi,Mr.Rueben
I'm Jed ,come from Taiwam
have you eaten PROA in Guam?
this sauce just like that?
thanks your reply!