Monday, August 1, 2011

My Basic and always dependable Brine

You can brine just about any piece of beef, pork or poultry that you plan on BBQing. Brining keeps your BBQ moist. This holds true especially for large or thick pieces of meat.


One of my good buddies, Coshon DeLusher, hailing from the bayou state of Louisiana, wrote all about brining. You can go to his web site, Drunken Turkey.com, to read more on the topic of brining.

When I brine, my go-to brine is a most basic one. All you need is brown sugar and Kosher salt. 


Here is the recipe:

Use a 2 to 1 ratio of brown sugar to Kosher salt. For one gallon of water I use 1 cup of brown sugar to 1/2 cup of Kosher salt.

You may reduce the seasoning accordingly depending on how much water you use. You may also want to taste it just so that you can adjust the sugar and/or salt to your liking.

That's all there is to it!!!!

I am brining some steaks using grated papaya to help tenderized the meat a little.

I love using this basic brine on turkey and one of my other favorites, pork loin. I usually brine the big stuff overnight. 

You'll never experience another dried out piece of BBQ again if you brine properly.

Hope this helps you out.

Until next time....

No comments: