Thursday, May 5, 2011

BBQ'd Pork Butt Kabobs


Yesterday, while I was contemplating something a little different to go with my BBQ'd chicken, I just happened to come across a pork butt in the freezer. The big, or small as my wife tells me, light bulb came on and pork butt kabobs flashed by. Hey, just a little something extra to fill up the grill was just what I was asking for.

So here is what I did.......


I cut up the pork butt into about 1 1/2 inch chunks. I also trimmed some of the fat off of these pieces.

BTW, the only ingredients I used on these Kabobs are the Worcestershire Sauce, my basic rib rub and my special "Rueben's Rub". 

Basic Rib Rub recipe:
2 tbsp smoked paprika
2 tbsp kosher salt
3 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
½ tbsp cayenne pepper (powder)
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp celery salt
1 tsp oregano, crushed


Basic BBQ Seasoning Rub Recipe:
2 Tbsp non-iodized table salt
2 Tbsp granulated garlic powder
1/2 Tsp dried ground parsley
1/4 Tsp black pepper, medium grind
1/4 Tsp Accent (msg)

(this is not Rueben's Rub)

So I put all the chunked pork into a bowl and add the Worcestershire Sauce very liberally. It will soak into the meat like a sponge. Then I apply the rib rub. I use a lot also as the salt content is low so it won't be too salty. A lot of room for error. Mix it all together and put it in the refer until you are ready for BBQ time!!!!!

Once the fire is ready then I take my favorite BBQ Skewers.

These are my favorites. Steven Raichlen signature series 5/8 inch stainless steel. The only problem is that I don't have enough of them. Next time I go to the states, I will buy another 12 pieces http://www.grilling4all.com/sm8026.html. And the meat doesn't slide off.  I skewer the pork chunks and place on the BarBe.

Once on the BarBe, I give a light sprinkle of my "Rueben's Rub", but any of your favorite salty rubs will do.

About 20-25 minutes later it is all done. There is no plating to be done here. They are either eaten at pitside or the few survivors are served in a bowl at the table. Sinimple...

Now, if you can take the time to try this recipe out, I gotta think it will bring a tear or two to your eyes. Or maybe it's just me. I love to eat BBQ.

Until next time....

No comments: