Thursday, May 5, 2011

Vinegar Marinated BBQ Chicken Anyone???


I love BBQ'd chicken. I love to BBQ it, I love to eat it and I love BBQ'd chicken. Did I say that already? Anyway, here is another marinade that will put a unique flavor into your next BBQ'd chicken. Vinegar marinated BBQ'd chicken......Guam style.

Recipe:
8 Chicken Quarters
3 Cups of white vinegar
1/2 Cup of water
5 Cloves of garlic minced
1 Medium onion sliced
2 Tbsp black peppercorns, hand ground
Basic BBQ Seasoning Rub while grilling.

Basic BBQ Seasoning Rub Recipe:
2 Tbsp non-iodized table salt
2 Tbsp granulated garlic powder
1/2 Tsp dried ground parsley
1/4 Tsp black pepper, medium grind
1/4 Tsp Accent (msg)

Prep your grill adding the wood chucks if you use charcoal. I use whatever I have on hand. I'm a simple guy. I just want to grill something.

I usually save the fat trimmings from the meat to grease down the grill after I burn and scrape the grill.

Just take your grill brush or tongs and rub the fat chunk across your grill grates until they are clean.

Here is all you need for the marinade.

Hand grind the black pepper corns. I like the fresh one when I can get them. Their flavor and aroma are bold.

Mince the garlic.

The chicken is in the marinading bowl.

The onion is cut in half and then slice about 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick.

Add all the ingredients into the bowl. When adding the onions, rub the onions together in your hands as you drop them into the bowl. This helps release their flavor.

I add the vinegar until it almost covers the chicken. I want to leave a little room for the water. The water is added so that it will take a slight edge off of the vinegar. But only a slight edge.

The rest is in the grilling. While grilling sprinkle with a little of the basic BBQ seasoning rub. Not too much as the table salt is a whole lot more saltier than Kosher salt. All you experienced grillers know this. But just in case.

The vinegar will impart a tangy flavor that will be balanced out by your smoke and rub. And if you want to add a little more island pizazz, then have your lemon finadene handy: http://guamfirehousecook.blogspot.com/2011/05/lemon-finadene-guam-bbq-dipping-sauce.html

Hope you enjoy this twist on your BBQ chicken.

Until next time....

6 comments:

cowgirl said...

Thank you again Rueben, it looks great! I tried your first Guam chicken marinade and I love it! :)

qfamily76 said...

This was so DELICIOSO!!! I get a call yesterday at work to stop by my dad's house to pick up some bbq pork butt n bbq chicken he had made. Said he wasn't going to be home, but that he had is all ready for me to take. When I got there, took a little taster...THEN IT WAS ON!! Got my plate, sat at the table and just started chowing down and of course, (while shaking his head at me) my husband was soon to follow. The flavor was wonderful! The pork butt was so tender and moist and the CHICKEN, just thinking about it...I am already salivating. And aren't I the lucky one cuz I just got another call from him that he is bbqin AGAIN tonight. AAHHH the benefits to being a master griller's daughter :)

Rueben said...

Cowgirl, I should thank you for all the ideas you have been giving me from your wonderful blog http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/.
I am so glad that you liked the marinade and no doubt the chicken was grilled perfect.

Rueben said...

@qfamily76, maybe being my daughter your kind words are a little biased. Or maybe you were so hungry that even a can of spam would have tasted like a gourmet meal. But, I will say thank you and I will take any compliments where I can. But just to expel any notion that last night might have been a fluke, in about an hour, 2 racks of spare ribs are going on the grill, with BBQ'd baby bok choy and asparagus (Mom request) with a little bit of mashed baby red potatoes on the side. Of course finadene will be served. And for your desert........MORE RIBS!!!!
It's like my crew says when we come back from fighting fires, we don't hydrate with liquid, we hydrate with solids. Bring it on!!!!!

recipes for bbq said...

I love to give parties and it's in my habit to try different type of recipes for bbq. I have to try your recipe and hopefully I won't screw it again like I ruined the last one which I picked from the TV.

recipes for bbq

Rueben said...

Well, first of all, thanks for the visit to my blog and your comment. I think the recipe and pictures of the step by step should get you pretty close to success. But any questions shoot me an email @ rueben.olivas@gmail.com.