Monday, May 2, 2011

Mustard Fried Chicken...Guam Style

I love fried chicken. When I came to Guam back in the 80s, I was introduced to a type of fried chicken that was so delicious I couldn't get enough. I found out it was Mustard Fried Chicken.



I remember that it was my brother-in-law, Felix, that fried the chicken that day. I asked him how he made the chicken, and he told me with mustard. I didn't quite understand what he meant so he broke it down for me and here is how it is done.

Here is the line up for all the ingredients.

Make sure you pre-heat your oil over medium heat.

Place you chicken in a mixing bowl.

Squeeze in about 1/2 cup of yellow mustard for one chicken.

The more mustard the better the flavor. On full cup won't hurt your chicken either.

Make sure you get a nice even coating of mustard over the chicken.

In a one gallon zip loc bag, mix in your flour, salt and black pepper. Zip up the bag and shake until well blended.

Grinding in the fresh black pepper.

Place the chicken in the bag, zip it up and shake it until the chicken is evenly coated with the flour mix.

Fry half of the chicken at a time. Make sure it is a nice, golden brown. When you remove the chicken, let it drip for a few seconds before placing the chicken on the cooling rack.

The chicken is allowed to cool. This will also make the chicken crispy as it cools.

Close up of a thigh. The black specs is the black pepper.

There you have it. The mustard, especially if applied very liberal, will give it a flavor all its own. I am sure you will enjoy this twist on an old time favorite.

Let me know what you think by emailing me. Just go into my profile and use the email there.

Until next time....


6 comments:

cowgirl said...

Wow! That sounds tasty Rueben! I've not heard of using mustard. Will give it a try... Thanks!

Rueben said...

It is delicious. I think you will really like it. Let me know what you think.

Coshon said...

This looks delicious! I am going to try this very soon. Good Job!

Rueben said...

Coshon, make sure you use plenty of Mustard. You can never use too much of it. And the more you use the better it tastes.

Let me know how you like it. Try some gator chunks this way!!

Anonymous said...

i've been browsing through your site and i love it! you should open up a restaurant! thank you for sharing all of this with us. God bless you and your family!

Rueben said...

Thank you Anonymous. I am just blogging about what we all do and that is cook and eat. We all have those talents in some form or another. Thank you for being so kind with your compliments.

The good Lord shepherds all his children and I know that he has blessed your family as well.