Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Tri-Tip Rub

I live on Guam and have done so for the past 26 years. But I am originally from Santa Maria, California. You may or may not know about Santa Maria, but it is home to the world famous Santa Maria Style BBQ.

Web site: http://santamariavalleybbq.com/

In Santa Maria we BBQ a lot of chicken, tri-tip and top block (Top Sirloin). Of course you need to have a rub for this style of BBQ. Here is the recipe for the rub.

Basic Tri-Tip Rub:

1 tbsp salt
1/2 tbsp black pepper
1/2 tbsp garlic salt

Rueben's Tri-Tip Rub:

2 tbsp sea salt
2 tbsp garlic powder (granulated)
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp MSG (Accent)
1/2 tsp dried parsley


I like to be a little light on the salt because this leaves a little room for error. Once there is too much salt on a piece of meat, it's hard to adjust.

In Santa Maria, we "roll" the meat in a pan of rub to get a thorough and uniform rub coating. You should adjust the spice levels to meet your individual tastes. But these rubs are a good starting point.

I hope they work out for you.

Until next time....

2 comments:

Vega said...

Does anyone know where I can find a recipe for a tri tip sauce? The one in particular i am thinking of uses cherry tomatoes, green onions, vinegar, beer, jalapenos and I dont know what else. We use to make it when i was stationed in California and it was used as a sauce that you pour over the tri tip. Thanks for the help in advance guys.

Rueben said...

Vega, I don't know of any sauce used with tri tip. I am originally from Santa Maria, Calif, home of the Santa Maria tri tip BBQ and we do use salsa but no sauce per se.

Go to my recipes and check out my salsa ranchero salsa. It goes great with tri tip. Or you can do a Pico de Gallo for a more solid consistency salsa.

BTW, thanks for dropping by my site. Come back again.
-Rueben- (:{